1916: The hospital was first established as the Leyte Provincial Hospital on July 16,
1916. It started out with an authorized bed capacity of fourteen (14) beds.
1925: The hospital transferred to its current site along Magsaysay Boulevard, Tacloban City.
1936: President Manuel L. Quezon inaugurated the hospital’s newest building which allowed the hospital to expand to a forty (40) bed capacity hospital.
1942: Japanese forces occupied the Philippines during the second world war and claimed the hospital as one of their headquarters, forcing the hospital to evacuate to TB Pavilion.
1972: The hospital was renamed as Speaker Daniel Z. Romualdez Memorial Hospital by virtue of Republic Act No. 6527 which states that the Tacloban City Hospital, Leyte Provincial Hospital, and Speaker Daniel Z. Romualdez Memorial Hospital, are to be constituted into one general hospital with a combined bed capacity of two hundred fifty (250) beds.
1986: On November 12, 1986, just after the EDSA Revolution, Memorandum No. 48 was sent by the Office of the President which ordered the renaming of the hospital to Tacloban City Medical Center (TCMC) among other hospital name changes.
1991: The Local Government Code of 1991 was passed. It identified TCMC as one of the DOH-retained hospitals in the region and remained a national government agency.
1992: The hospital was given its current name of Eastern Visayas Regional Medical Center (EVRMC) on March 24, 1992 in accordance to Republic Act No. 7289.
2009: The Philippine Republic Act 9793 was passed allowing the hospital to expand into a five hundred (500) bed hospital.
2013: On November 8, 2013, the region was hit by Super Typhoon Yolanda (international name Haiyan) and caused widespread devastation. EVRMC was one of the few remaining hospitals in operation in spite of the damages.
2016: EVRMC celebrated its centennial anniversary.
2017: The hospital began the process of moving to its newest site in Barangays Cabalawan and Bagacay, Tacloban City.